Monday, 19 May 2008

Getting Published - sooooo exciting!!

This is so exciting!! Who'd have thunk after only four years scrapping... little old completely artisically challenged me would have a layout published in a scrapping magazine. Let alone Up2Scrap, my FAVOURITE magazine, let alone the only scrapping mag that I know of published in my country.

So here's what happened....

I did this layout in January for a challenge in a scrapping bebo group. It's all about my darling husband, truly the best man in the world. I wanted to make the layout lovely like he is, and I think I did.



My good friend Alisa really liked it. She said I should submit it for publishing. Of course, I couldn't even consider it. I didn't think my work was nearly good enough. Well, Lisi took it upon herself to take a copy of the layout that I'd posted on Bebo and send it to Up2Scrap, who promptly emailed me and told me that it had been accepted for publishing in the May 2008 issue of their magazine. I was blown away, until I read the fine print on their email. It said that they would not publish a layout that had been posted on any website, no matter how small, or on a Blog. I was gutted. But our scrapping site is very small, so I wrote asking for an exception. They turned me down, but offered me the chance to submit another layout.

This time I was on a time limit and had to do one quickly, but given that this time I was actually knowingly submitting to a magazine, I was so nervous. I decided to do my layout on my friend Alisa, since it was her that got me to this point in the first place.



And wouldn't you know it, the May edition has just hit the shelves and there on a page all of my own, is my layout. I've had the mag for days now, and I still can't get the grin off my face. I may even submit again. hehe.


My layout as it appeared in Up2Scrap, May 2008 edition.

2 comments:

Nic said...

Hey Ruthie - great blog! I'm going to add yours to mine if thats ok? That way I will remember to check back - feel free to come see me @ succumbstopeerpressure.blogspot.com - Cheers! Nic (jnm)

Deanna said...

Congratulations Ruthie!

Both of these layouts are truly awesome! Great job!

Thanks for sharing...